[vorbis-dev] equalization

Robert Voigt f1k at gmx.de
Thu May 24 01:51:48 PDT 2001

On Thursday 24 May 2001 10:05, Beni Cherniavsky wrote:
> The winamp plugin interface provides for the plugin doing EQ and/or
> supplying spectrum data.

Ah, I didn't know. So it's easier than I thought. The most difficult part is
already there. Just a question of the other widely used players have that too.

> Segher says MDCT is very different from FFT -- is it good enough to
> cheaply produce vis data as a side effect of vorbis decoding?

I don't know MDCT too well, but I think it's not so different that we
couldn't get frequency domain data from it that is good for this purpose. The
purpose is not very demanding.
Vorbis used to compute all the masking from the MDCT coefficients only. I
think now FFT is used as well for reasons I don't completely understand. If
MDCT is good for computing masking it is certainly good for visualization.