[vorbis-dev] equalization

Robert Voigt f1k at gmx.de
Thu May 24 00:33:31 PDT 2001

On Wednesday 23 May 2001 00:03, rodolfo.borges at mail.com wrote:
> what about adding equalization in the decoder?
> it makes sense doing it internally because the sound is stored
> in the frequency domain, like mp3, right?

I think it's possible, but if the decoder is a media player that plays all
kinds of formats including wav and audio CD you still need to implement the
usual digital filters for equalization. For Vorbis you'd save some CPU
cycles. I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble.
I once had the idea that I could use the frequency domain data of Vorbis for
visualization. This way I could save the CPU cycles for the FFT. This makes a
little more sense than using it for equalization, because those fancy
visualizations need a lot of CPU and a little more power would give some
extra fps. Moreover, I could make a certain event happen in the visualization
whenever there's a short block, assuming that the short block was triggered
by an attack (or maybe a beat?). Perhaps those sounds that trigger short
blocks make you feel like jumping or something, and it would be nice to
express this in the visualization.
Can anyone comment on this please?