[vorbis-dev] QuickTime component for MacOS 9

Kevin Marks kmarks at apple.com
Fri May 18 10:14:04 PDT 2001

At 8:36 am -0500 18/5/01, Steve Nicolai wrote:
>  > Excellent!  Good job getting this up and running!
>Thanks, this was the easy part, it gets more difficult now.
>
>>  A minor question now...  Is or will the source code be available?
>This version has the compressor and exporter combined together,
>which isn't the right way to do it.  I don't want to mislead
>others into following my bad example, so I don't want to check
>in the source at this point.

Remember though that there isn't a good way to do VBR audio
compression at present; you may not be able to write a Vorbis 'scom'
without padding up to a constant size, which is probably antithetical
to vorbis's variable-size chunks.

>I'm working on separating them which is more difficult than you think,
>because the compressor has to be able to run at deferred task time.
>Calling malloc from deferred task time is a no-no.  I've got a
>solution, but I'm still implementing it.  This problem happens
>with the decompressor also.

There are interrupt safe allocaters on the Mac (Open Transport has
one), but you are better off not using these if you can.