[vorbis-dev] encoding lots of speech

Kenji Rikitake kenji at k2r.org
Fri Jul 20 05:17:14 PDT 2001

I think in Japanese language (which I speak almost 99% of my lifetime)
vowels have more important than consonants.  On the other hand, Chinese
and the dialects have more stress-based accent structure and more
importance on treating consonants.

Anyway I believe Vorbis codec can cover most of the spoken languages
without having the localized codebooks for each language, unless if it
tries to deal with speech contents in less than 10kbps.

In the message <p0431010db77900194a42@[17.202.37.230]>
at Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 01:49:37PM -0700,
Kevin Marks <kmarks at apple.com> writes:
> I have heard reports that some of the more aggressive speech codecs
> fall down on  languages other than English; not just tonal languages,
> but also French and Italian.

I also have heard a report that a codec for Japanese cellular phones in
early 1990s failed to deal with English language.  Things are not that
bad in these days, though.

// Kenji Rikitake