[vorbis-dev] Some very early RC1 results

Gian-Carlo Pascutto gcp at sjeng.org
Sat Jul 14 17:32:11 PDT 2001

Hi all,

I started testing the RC1 encoder at

ftp://sjeng.sourceforge.net/pub/sjeng/oggdrop.exe

(based on branch_monty_20010708)

On the songs I have tested so far (not much :)
I did not hear any stereo issues, but there are
some very noticeable problems with the produced files.

Songs without much high-end will suddenly have one
when encoded. (you'd expect it the other way around)
It nearly sounds as if the encoder adds 'hiss'.

Beta4 at 128Kbps does not have the same artifacts.

Monty noted on IRC:

The biggest to expect is that very high frequency
diffuse noise will tend to shrink toward a point.

However, this sounds like it's something else than
what I am experiencing.

--
GCP