[vorbis-dev] encoding lots of speech

Kevin Marks kmarks at apple.com
Mon Jul 16 13:49:59 PDT 2001

At 3:55 PM -0400 7/16/01, Monty wrote:
>On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 12:20:16PM -0700, Kevin Marks wrote:
>>  With speech, the harmonic content is less important
>
>Not true; the harmonic structure is of foremost importance.  The big
>distinction is that it is also regular and utterly predictable in
>speech.

Sorry, I meant the melodic content, not harmonic structure. For
English and Swedish, anyway; for Chinese and Japanese, the melody is
more important.

I have heard reports that some of the more aggressive speech codecs
fall down on  languages other than English; not just tonal languages,
but also French and Italian.