[vorbis-dev] encoding lots of speech

Robert Voigt f1k at gmx.de
Sun Jul 15 08:48:35 PDT 2001

On Saturday 14 July 2001 20:03, Daniel Resare wrote:
> Now to my question: how well fitted is ogg/vorbis for compressing high
> quality speech? I've done some limited testing with beta4 that indicates
> that bitrates around 64kbit/s (mono) is needed to make it sound ok.
> How much 'room for improvement' does the vorbis format have on that number?
> Would it be possible to hack a special decoder that was better at encoding
> and how much work would that take?

If it's supposed to be truly high quality, you can't go much lower than
64kbit/s (mono) with any codec. Maybe a couple percent. Vorbis will also
improve a couple percent in this discipline in the next version. To squeeze
out more it's going to take quite a lot of research and time.

Note: This is not an official statement of the Vorbis project.