[vorbis-dev] encoding lots of speech

Kevin Marks kmarks at apple.com
Mon Jul 16 12:20:16 PDT 2001

At 8:03 PM +0200 7/14/01, Daniel Resare wrote:
>I had lunch with an interesting guy who had gotten .com-money to record
>the whole bible professionally with good actors (in swedish and english, kjv).
>The idea was to sell custom made compilations of biblical texts on cd over
>internet. The company is now out of money (surprise!), but all the material
>is recorded (about 350 hours) and if anyone gets a good idea on what to use
>the material to, it might be possible to get permission to use it.
>
>Now to my question: how well fitted is ogg/vorbis for compressing high
>quality speech? I've done some limited testing with beta4 that indicates
>that bitrates around 64kbit/s (mono) is needed to make it sound ok.
>How much 'room for improvement' does the vorbis format have on that number?
>Would it be possible to hack a special decoder that was better at encoding
>and how much work would that take?

Speech and music are considered different problem classes by many
audio codec developers. If the recording is just clear speech (ie not
mixed with music intros and effects) then there are several codecs
that will compress it much smaller than 64kbps and still sound OK.
The GSM family is one, PureVoice (included free in QuickTime) is
another, and MPEG 4 defines some new ones.

With speech, the harmonic content is less important, and there is
generally lots of silence that can be removed, but there is also a
great deal of shaped noise in the form of sibilants (s, f, h sounds).
The ear is quite sensitive to distinctions in the noise, so reducing
bitrate by cutting down samplerate can sound wrong (sss turns into
shhh if the HF is cut off, for example).

My understanding of Vorbis is that is a general purpose compressor,
and so one could make codebooks tuned for speech, but they would
require some work.

Based on earlier discussion here, 'noise gating' your speech first
(putting it through a filter so that there is complete digital
silence between words) would help Vorbis make it a lot smaller, as
otehrwise Vorbis will carefully preserve the nuances of your
background noise in the recording studio well below the threshold of
hearing.