[vorbis-dev] encoding lots of speech

Daniel Resare noa at metamatrix.se
Sat Jul 14 11:03:55 PDT 2001

I had lunch with an interesting guy who had gotten .com-money to record
the whole bible professionally with good actors (in swedish and english, kjv).
The idea was to sell custom made compilations of biblical texts on cd over
internet. The company is now out of money (surprise!), but all the material
is recorded (about 350 hours) and if anyone gets a good idea on what to use
the material to, it might be possible to get permission to use it.

Now to my question: how well fitted is ogg/vorbis for compressing high
quality speech? I've done some limited testing with beta4 that indicates
that bitrates around 64kbit/s (mono) is needed to make it sound ok.
How much 'room for improvement' does the vorbis format have on that number?
Would it be possible to hack a special decoder that was better at encoding
and how much work would that take?

I am no expert in audio compression (I'm on this list to monitor the
discussions on i18n and comment encoding issues) so the answers to
some/all of the above questions may be obvious. If so, please forgive
me.

cheers/daniel

--
begin:vcard fn:Daniel Resare tel;cell:+46739442044 tel;work:+468332040
adr;work:Scheelegatan 36; 112 28; Stockholm; Sweden end:vcard