[vorbis-dev] oggenc broken for some types of WAV files

Jack Moffitt jack at xiph.org
Sat Jul 28 22:50:50 PDT 2001

There is really no need to get bent out of shape.

We all make mistakes, and I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it
eventually.

As for supporting invalid files, there are a few issues...

1) is there an _official_ reference to wav?  I've never seen one.  I've
seen many pseudo references.  and according to many of these references,
several of the wav files floating around in the wild are invalid.

2) supporting invalid wav files, just prevents anyone from finding out
their invalid wav files, and then it's that much harder to right
conforming programs.  it's important to stick to the reference, unless
it turns out that a significant and non-trivial amount of wav files are
non-conforming.

Deviation from the spec isn't really justified for Ripper-Of-The-Day.
It's easier to get them to fix the bugs, than to just work around them
on our end.

We want our tools to be easy to use, but not making careful choices in
this area will lead to even more widespread problems in the long run.

Now, seems to me, we need to find the canonical reference, or if tha'ts
not possible, one or two references that we can all agree on as being
close enough.

It does us no good to argue without specs in hand. :)

There's no need to get into an argument; this can be easily solved
quickly by reference and amicable discussion.  And we do need to solve
it.  There are too many not-supported wav files (at least for oggdrop,
which is based off slightly older oggenc code), and I'd like to make
sure we get the problem solved right for 1.0.

jack.