[vorbis-dev] oggenc broken for some types of WAV files

Chris Wolf cwolf at starclass.com
Sat Jul 28 23:14:22 PDT 2001

>The attached audio.c is significantly different from what the patch
>you sent the other day did. I haven't checked it yet carefully, the
>really obvious bugs are no longer present.

Ok, so I changed the file after I posted the patch?
I don't think so. Don't even try that.
I just did a diff again and it's identical to the one I posted.
(of course -- because I never made any further changes)

Don't even try to pull the old "he must have changed something" trick.

Why can't you just admit that you didn't apply the patch properly?
Or at least say nothing at all.

>'within reason'. Yes. Allowing sillyness like this, however, just makes
>the program far less error-tolerant.

What kind of logic is that statement?

>See below. This isn't even pretending to be a spec.
>
>As I said, every spec I've seen explicitly disallows this. You attached
>API documentation, which covers in-memory data structures. I was looking
>for _file format_ documentation, something which is completely
>different.

What spec are you talking about?  Show me.
Those data structures also define the tag formats in the file.
At least I took the time to find and post my references.

>It seems quite clearly a violation of the spec. The program creating
>them _is_ buggy.

Yeah, you keep saying that, but you don't back it up with a reference.
All right, then make your program only accept input which *strictly* conforms
to the "spec" you keep referring to, but provide no reference to, I don't care --
I'll just continue to use mp3, and so will the people who are unable to compress
their files with your utility.

>However, in the interests of compatibility with stupidity, I've made
>the changes, though I've left a strong warning against using the program
>creating them in there, since it's wrong.

No, it's not wrong... and BTW,  YOU'RE WELCOME.

Mr. Smith, I'm getting tired of this thread.  I volunteered a small amount of my
time and effort because I think open-source is a worthy cause.  I believe that
most of the contributors on this list are nice, knowledgeable
people -- but all I've gotten from you is tersely authoritative guff.

If you wish to persue this matter further, you may contact me directly.
My apologies to the list.

Chris Wolf