[vorbis-dev] BCB build successful?

Gregory Maxwell greg at linuxpower.cx
Wed Jan 31 20:02:58 PST 2001

On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 07:05:41PM -0800, David K. Gasaway wrote:
> > However, the cause of this problem has later been identified and
> > solved (it was a compiler error, but it could easily and safely be
> > avoided by marking a certain variable as 'volatile') and is no longer
> > of any greater concern.
> >
> > So apparently it's solved now, and it was indeed a compiler bug.
>
> Well, the way I read it, they've worked around the compiler bugs.
> In other words, the compiler bugs could still be there, though
> probably not in the case of gcc.  It's possible vorbis would need
> similar tweaks, but I'm quite sure Monty and team would have fixed
> these sorts of things long ago on the compilers they use.

Usually such 'compiler bugs' are actually programer bugs, where the
programmer expects behavior that is not in the C spec and the C compiler
gets more creative with it's interpertation of the standard in order to
generate faster code..

Considering that Blade is almost the same as the ISO reference mp3 encoder,
which is full of aweful bugs, thats more likely the case.

Vorbis is actually very well coded, so I'd doubt we'd see too many of such
bugs.