[vorbis-dev] Building vorbis - please help

Michael Smith msmith at xn.com.au
Mon Jan 29 20:04:34 PST 2001

"David K. Gasaway" wrote:

> I realize not many people (one :) ) want to build vorbis with BCB,
> but what about vorbisfile.c, os.h, oggenc.c, and getopt?  And
> someone must care about the MSVC files.  I really tried not to
> bring up any questions about BCB itself (although I had some).
> Please, someone, take a look at the original message, and excuse
> me if I'm too impatient...
>
> http://www.xiph.org/archives/vorbis-dev/0431.html

  Most of your problems are with the MSVC project files. Tough - it's
probably easier to just build your own project files. The project files
are often out of date anyway.

  Most of the rest (the actual errors) are because you're compiling C
with a C++ compiler. C is NOT a subset of C++, unlike what some people
seem to think. Don't expect that to work, and don't expect us to work
around it. Set your compiler to compile as C (if it can't, then your
compiler is for a language other than what vorbis is written in - we're
not going to change it to that, just like we wouldn't make changes for
someone who wanted to compile vorbis with visual basic).

Finally, the problems with the inline assembly, and with oggenc's
setbinmode(), are real problems. You'll need to supply a working
setbinmode() (I'll commit it if you can send a patch), and I'll fix the
defines on the assembly when I get a chance

Michael