[vorbis-dev] Systemwide default for ogg123

Chris Cheney ccheney at cheney.cx
Sat Jan 27 09:46:23 PST 2001

As far as I can tell configuration files go into /etc at least in Linux.
This is the relevant section of the FHS.  If you know of any other
standards that stay to stick it elsewhere please let me know :)

Chris Cheney

Filesystem Hierarchy Standard -- Version 2.1

       3.4  /etc : Host-specific system configuration

       /etc contains configuration files and directories that are specific to
       the current system.

       No binaries should be located under /etc.
       /etc -- Host-specific system configuration
       +-X11       Configuration for the X Window System
       +-opt       Configuration for /opt
       The following section is intended partly to illuminate the description
       of the contents of /etc with a number of examples; it is definitely not
       an exhaustive list.

       Required files for /etc:

          o General files:

            { adjtime, csh.login, disktab, fdprm, fstab, gettydefs, group,
              inittab, confissue, ld.so.conf, lilo.conf, motd, mtab, mtools,
              passwd, profile, securetty, shells, syslog.conf, ttytype }

          o Networking files:

            { exports, ftpusers, gateways, host.conf, hosts, hosts.allow,
              hosts.deny, hosts.equiv, hosts.lpd, inetd.conf, networks,
              printcap, protocols, resolv.conf, rpc, services }

       Notes:

       The setup of command scripts invoked at boot time may resemble System V
       or BSD models.  Further specification in this area may be added to a
       future version of this standard.

       Systems that use the shadow password suite will have additional
       configuration files in /etc (/etc/shadow and others) and programs in
       /usr/sbin (useradd, usermod, and others).

       3.4.1  /etc/X11 : Configuration for the X Window System

       /etc/X11 is the recommended location for all X11 host-specific
       configuration.  This directory is necessary to allow local control if
       /usr is mounted read only.  Files that should be in this directory
       include Xconfig (and/or XF86Config) and Xmodmap.

       Subdirectories of /etc/X11 may include those for xdm and for any other
       programs (some window managers, for example) that need them.  We
       recommend that window managers with only one configuration file which is
       a default .*wmrc file should name it system.*wmrc (unless there is a
       widely-accepted alternative name) and not use a subdirectory.  Any
       window manager subdirectories should be identically named to the actual
       window manager binary.

       /etc/X11/xdm holds the configuration files for xdm.  These are most of
       the files normally found in /usr/lib/X11/xdm.  Some local variable data
       for xdm is stored in /var/lib/xdm.

       3.4.2  /etc/opt : Configuration files for /opt

       Host-specific configuration files for add-on application software
       packages shall be installed within the directory /etc/opt/<package>,
       where <package> is the name of the subtree in /opt where the static data
       from that package is stored.  No structure is imposed on the internal
       arrangement of /etc/opt/<package>.

       If a configuration file must reside in a different location in order for
       the package or system to function properly, it may be placed in a
       location other than /etc/opt/<package>.

       BEGIN RATIONALE
       Refer to the rationale for /opt.
       END RATIONALE