[vorbis-dev] ogg pic format (again).. here's why

Marshall Eubanks tme at 21rst-century.com
Fri Jan 26 21:09:50 PST 2001

Hello Tarkinauts;

Does anyone know how much a 3 or 4 D LOSSLESS compression could be
pushed ?
I have a feeling with video you could do a LOT better than Huffman encoding.

I remember that with Voyager, first pixel of each row was sent 16 bit (I
think), and then
each subsequent pixel was sent as a delta (from the previous pixel),
then runs were encoded, then
everything was formated  in blocks with error correction,
with an average bit/pixel of like 3 or 4 or so, even over
landscapes (this was adopted originally as, for a pictures of moon
against black space,
long runs of black background could be in very few bits). (I may not
remember the steps in the
right order; it's been a long time.)

This is a 1-D lossless compression, with no fourier transforms or
wavelengths involved.
I suspect that a factor of 10 would be easy,
and a factor of 100 possible, with lossless compression, if you went all
out.

This, of course, would have some real attractions....

                                   Regards
                                   Marshall Eubanks

   Multicast Technologies, Inc.
   10301 Democracy Lane, Suite 201
   Fairfax, Virginia 22030
   Phone : 703-293-9624          Fax     : 703-293-9609
   e-mail : tme at on-the-i.com     http://www.on-the-i.com