[vorbis-dev] now i'm a real vorbis guy.

David Terrell dbt at meat.net
Tue Jan 2 13:36:08 PST 2001

On Tue, Jan 02, 2001 at 10:25:04PM +0100, Lourens Veen wrote:
> Oh don't mistake me for a closed source promotor there, I was playing
> devils advocate for a bit. I am all for open source, and not just that,
> free software too. But there's still a very real economy out there that
> is based on closed source and software as a product rather than a
> service. I'm not sure how compatible commercial funding and
> no-protection is. If I were a record company then WMA would be an
> attractive alternative to Vorbis.

Perhaps when WMA is cracked, SDMI's watermarking is cracked (and
rejected by the marketplace for decomposing the music too much),
and all the consumers have learned that vorbis has the highest
quality audio around, the record companies will catch up.

Until then, I don't see any reason to create yet another soon to
be broken copy protection scheme.  It's a waste of time.

--
David Terrell            | "Instead of plodding through the equivalent of
Prime Minister, NebCorp  | literary Xanax, the pregeeks go for sci-fi and