[vorbis-dev] now i'm a real vorbis guy.

Lourens Veen jsr at dds.nl
Tue Jan 2 13:25:04 PST 2001

"John R. Hall" wrote:

> > Ah, I see now. I hope you will find new sources of funding then. How is
> > Vorbis with content protection? I mean open sourcing your libs doesn't
> > really seem compatible with blocking the end user from saving the stream
> > to disk, and if funding comes from companies who want this kind of
> > stuff, it may be a problem.
>
> I think that's exactly what Vorbis is trying to avoid.
>
> -John

Oh don't mistake me for a closed source promotor there, I was playing
devils advocate for a bit. I am all for open source, and not just that,
free software too. But there's still a very real economy out there that
is based on closed source and software as a product rather than a
service. I'm not sure how compatible commercial funding and
no-protection is. If I were a record company then WMA would be an
attractive alternative to Vorbis.

Lourens