[vorbis-dev] By design or a bug?

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at lsc.nd.edu
Mon Jan 1 11:39:53 PST 2001

On Mon, 1 Jan 2001, Jeff Squyres wrote:

> vorbis_analyze() for later writing to an .ogg stream.  The docs don't
> seem to say if this is permissable or not.  Hence, I don't know if I'm
> using the API incorrectly, or if this is an actual bug.

I caught Monty on #vorbis, and he provided a quick answer -- ogg_packets
refer to their corresponding vorbis_blocks.  Hence, those have to be
queued up as well so that they're not overwritten with the next call to
vorbis_analysis_blockout().  A quick sanity check with code confirms that
queueing up vorbis_blocks with their corresponding ogg_packets does the
trick.  Good to know.

Just following up here so that it gets into the web archives...

Bummer for distributed encoding, though -- one more data structure to have
to send between machines.  Hmmm....

{+} Jeff Squyres
{+} squyres at cse.nd.edu
{+} Perpetual Obsessive Notre Dame Student Craving Utter Madness
{+} "I came to ND for 4 years and ended up staying for a decade"