[vorbis-dev] By design or a bug?

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon Jan 1 11:46:58 PST 2001

On Mon, Jan 01, 2001 at 02:39:53PM -0500, Jeff Squyres wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Jan 2001, Jeff Squyres wrote:

> > vorbis_analyze() for later writing to an .ogg stream.  The docs don't
> > seem to say if this is permissable or not.  Hence, I don't know if I'm
> > using the API incorrectly, or if this is an actual bug.
>
> I caught Monty on #vorbis, and he provided a quick answer -- ogg_packets
> refer to their corresponding vorbis_blocks.  Hence, those have to be
> queued up as well so that they're not overwritten with the next call to
> vorbis_analysis_blockout().  A quick sanity check with code confirms that
> queueing up vorbis_blocks with their corresponding ogg_packets does the
> trick.  Good to know.
>
> Just following up here so that it gets into the web archives...
>
> Bummer for distributed encoding, though -- one more data structure to have
> to send between machines.  Hmmm....

You can reach inside the vorbis_block and pluck out the oggpack_buffer
if you like.... It'll still be owned memory, but if you're moving
between machines, it's a copy regardless.

Otherwise, we'll need a call to use seperate oggpack_buffers and
that's one more thing for the encoder to keep track of (perhaps not a
bad thing).

Monty