[vorbis-dev] more clues re: bug report for oggenc in CVS: vorbis-tools/oggenc/encode.c

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Tue Dec 4 00:44:40 PST 2001

>	oggenc -r -b 192 -c 'Ripped by Cameron Simpson with cdparanoia and oggenc on Tue Dec  4 16:26:56 EST 2001' -a 'Cold Chisel' -N 1 -t 'Standing on the Outside' -l East -o out  - <../../cdp.out
>
>aborts instantly, as though at EOF. This command:
>
>	oggenc -r -b 192 -c 'Ripped by Cameron Simpson with cdparanoia and oggenc on Tue Dec  4 16:26:56 EST 2001' -a 'Cold Chisel' -N 1 -t 'Standing on the Outside' -l East -o out  ../../cdp.out

Very strange - the form given above does NOT trigger any most of the code
for dealing with stdin mode.
The biggest complication of stdin mode is that the file is not seekable,
generally, so various things must be done differently. When stdin is just
redirected from a file as above, stdin is seekable (it ceases to be
seekable once pipes are used).

>successfully encodes the file (same data, but filename used directly instead of "-").
>
>And this command:
>
>	oggenc -r -b 192 -N 1 -o out - <../../cdp.out
>
>encodes the file - again same data but with lots of the metadata dropped.
>
>So it's not purely stdin related (which is good, because that code in
>oggenc.c looks just fine and trivial).
>
>I'm going to go and look for some fixed sized buffers. The -c is my suspect...

utf8.c is the only code that I didn't write most of, and I know the rest has
no fixed size buffers (well, I didn't write getopt either, but that's MUCH
more widely used) - the utf8 code is also relatively new, so if this bug
has only been around with recent versions, it could be worth taking a long
look at.

Michael

p.s. I'm off overseas tomorrow, so I'm unlikely to get to bug reports in
anything approaching a timely manner. Hopefully someone else will.