[vorbis-dev] Re: more clues re: bug report for oggenc in CVS: vorbis-tools/oggenc/encode.c

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Tue Dec 4 00:36:33 PST 2001

At 05:42 PM 12/4/01 +1100, you wrote:
>On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 04:44:28PM +1100, Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au> wrote:
>| So it's not purely stdin related (which is good, because that code in
>| oggenc.c looks just fine and trivial).
>
>With regard to this single statement, it's slightly false.
>
>If oggenc tries to autodetect the audio data type from stdin and fails then
>it will dump core when complaining (because infiles[i] == NULL now).

Fixed. Thanks.

>There's a host of little things like this I'm seeing in the code I'm
>reading while tracking down my real problem. Do you guys want me to
>make patches for any of this stuff? And things like type schizophrenia
>(assuming wchar_t == short in utf8_encode() for example) and the myriad
>unchecked realloc() and strdup() calls.

wchar_t doesn't seem to be used anywhere (except in the win32-specific
code, where this assumption is reasonable).

The unchecked memory allocation is done that way because libvorbis does
it too, it makes no practical difference.

>As an outsider not in a frenzy of doing actual coding on this project
>in some ways I'm well placed to notice trivia like this; do you want
>to to do anything about it as I go?

Well, if there are real bugs (like the first one reported above, which
I've committed a fix for), then patches are VERY welcome.

Michael