[vorbis-dev] more clues re: bug report for oggenc in CVS: vorbis-tools/oggenc/encode.c

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Mon Dec 3 21:44:28 PST 2001

On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 11:17:24PM +1100, Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au> wrote:
| | The eos flag is set once an output page is produced that has the eos flag
| | set - this flag only gets set once all input has been consumed.
| That would appear not to be the case for me; I will have to investigate
| further.
[...]
| | Not sure why you're getting short encodes though - are you encoding from
| | stdin?
| Yes.
| | On windows?
| No, Linux with 1.0rc2 (shipped with RedHat 7.2).

Well, it's looking like a buffer overflow.

I have stashed the input raw audio in a file called cdp.out.

This command:

        oggenc -r -b 192 -c 'Ripped by Cameron Simpson with cdparanoia and oggenc on Tue Dec  4 16:26:56 EST 2001' -a 'Cold Chisel' -N 1 -t 'Standing on the Outside' -l East -o out  - <../../cdp.out

aborts instantly, as though at EOF. This command:

        oggenc -r -b 192 -c 'Ripped by Cameron Simpson with cdparanoia and oggenc on Tue Dec  4 16:26:56 EST 2001' -a 'Cold Chisel' -N 1 -t 'Standing on the Outside' -l East -o out  ../../cdp.out

uccessfully encodes the file (same data, but filename used directly instead of "-").

And this command:

        oggenc -r -b 192 -N 1 -o out - <../../cdp.out

encodes the file - again same data but with lots of the metadata dropped.

So it's not purely stdin related (which is good, because that code in
oggenc.c looks just fine and trivial).

I'm going to go and look for some fixed sized buffers. The -c is my suspect...

--
Cameron Simpson, DoD#743        cs at zip.com.au    http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

You've failed to miss my point entirely, though you've succeeded mostly.
	- Mark Vieselmeyer