[vorbis-dev] ogg-vorbis and ARM

Ian Walters ianw at trolltech.com
Thu Aug 23 01:10:20 PDT 2001

Hi,

I am attempting to port ogg-vorbis to the iPaq H36xx (see
http://handhelds.org).  Since this device uses an ARM chip, no floating
point.  Now the port was easy and worked fine, except that all the fp ops
were emulated, making it very very slow.  So I thought I would try with
-msoft-float so an exception doesn't occur on every fp operation.

libm had no soft-float library available, and I used a old, custom library I
could easily recompile that had no asm code in it.  it has the following
options

_POSIX_MODE _XOPEN_MODE _SVID3_MODE _IEEE_

Since I saw a flag -no-ieee-fp flag in the make files, I am guessing the last
option is a no-go.

However, while the straight compile encoded and decoded ogg files perfectly
(at 95 times real-time), the -msoft-float code seems to provide mostly
silence with the occasional bit of white-noise (like a short click or couple
of short clicks).

Soooooo.... The questions are

What known floating point incompatabilities exist between ogg-vorbis and
varaious fp libraries
What code is likely to be easiest (e.g. with little knowledge on my part) to
convert to integer only code.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me

Ian Walters.