[vorbis-dev] Metadata streams

rillian at telus.net rillian at telus.net
Mon Apr 9 14:49:38 PDT 2001

On Monday, April 9, 2001, at 02:14 , Aaron Plattner wrote:

> I was looking at the Freeamp stuff and I looked at their RDF metadata
> stream
> spec. (http://www.musicbrainz.org/MM).  I noticed on that page it says,
> "Furthermore, this format will hopefully be used by the Open Source
> audio codec
> Vorbis to store audio/video metadata with the audio/video tracks."

Something like that. Robert and I worked on it a bit together last year,
but I haven't written any code to support it in vorbis. We generally
just agreed that sharing the work of writing a decent format and using
it in both the database and distributed files would be a good thing. But
yes, where things left off, this was the best candidate for the "kitchen
sink" metadata features people have requested. It would be passed in a
separate logical bitstream interleaved with the audio data.

The needs of the two applications are a bit different, however. For
example, lyrics (sychronized or not) and the synchronized event tracks
belong in separate logical bitstreams (and hence xml documents) from the
static metadata. All of these would be interleaved with the vorbis audio
data. Static data, and small bits of syncronized data would probably
just come at the beginning of the stream, but in the later case one
wants to allow dispersement throughout the stream to support live
generation and longer texts.

As the page says, there are also some issues with the rdf-ness of the
spec. RDF itself is somewhat in flux still, too, so I generally feel
we're not ready to set anything in stone. Would be nice to have some
experimental code though.

There's also a need for some sort of 'table-of-contents' for multi-track
ogg streams, if only to functionally label the various pieces. I'd hoped
to make the static metadata substream serve in this capacity as well,
which will obviously require some element additions to the MM spec.
Others felt a binary format would be better for this; mostly because of
the parsing overhead for xml/rdf.

  -ralph