[vorbis-dev] ao/

Ralph Giles giles at snow.ashlu.bc.ca
Sat Sep 30 00:48:23 PDT 2000

Well, I wrestled with the automake stuff for a few hours, but basically
came back to where I started. The problem is conditional compilation of
the drivers. The current method tries to add them to the SOURCES line
through an autoconf substitution, but that's ignored by the dependency
generation. The docs suggest that we're supposed to generate an object
list and pass it through LTLIBOBJS or some such, but I couldn't get it to
work from that side either.

I'm beginning to suspect an automake bug. I know you can do substitution
on SUBDIRs, and the docs claim to automagically support AC_REPLACE_FUNCS.
Anybody know a work around?

Attached is some cleanup I did. apply the patch and unpack the tar file in
the ao working directory and add the new files.

* remove the include/ao/Makefile.am as unnecessary
  unfortunately, we seem to be stuck with the include/ and doc/ makefiles
  if we want to have the proper install paths.

* remove ao_libs.inc.in -- dead code

* add TODO to the distfiles

* added a datestamp version number for development versions

* removed the -$(VERSION) from the doc installpath

* general configure.in cleanups.
  add missing macros, remove unnecessary ones.
  proper help lines for the driver switches

* make driver switches go through config.h
  move config.h include to audio_out.c where it belongs (not ao.h)

A lot of that is worth applying, I think.

Cheers,
 -ralph

giles at ashlu.bc.ca

<HR NOSHADE>
<UL>
<LI>APPLICATION/octet-stream attachment: ao-giles.patch.gz
</UL>