[vorbis-dev] cvs changes

kcarnold at yahoo.com kcarnold at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 3 06:57:59 PDT 2000

On Sun, Sep 03, 2000 at 03:28:17AM -0700, Jack Moffitt wrote:

> I'm trying to clean up CVS, getting everything where it should be, because
> pretty soon we're going to have to build SDK's and whatnot, and I want
> that to be easy.
>
> We're basically going to have 3 libraries:
>
> 1) libogg
> 2) libvorbis
> 3) libvorbisfile
>
> I have separated libogg out from the rest of the code, cleaned it up, got
> it doing 'make dist' and rpms and imported this into the 'ogg' module in
> cvs.  I'd appreciate it if any changes made to ogg in the vorbis module
> would be copied here as well until such time as the mainline vorbis stuff
> reflects the changes in the branch.
>
> Next, I have got a vorbis module that compiles and links against libogg in
> 'branch_jackoggsvorbis'.   It works fine, and I can compile everything in
> the entire vorbis tree.  I will commit this to the postbeta2 branch once i
> get blessing from Monty.  Basically vorbis assumes you have libogg
> installed in teh usual places, or you can do ./configure --with-ogg=DIR to
> specify somewhere special.
>
> The next steps down this path are to clean up configure.in for vorbis
> (I found some nastiness do to the ordering of statements) and make vorbis
> have the rpms and dist building that libogg does.
>
> Now, the other tools don't really belong in the library, so I've started
> to pull those out as well.  A good place to start was libao, which I have
> cleaned up a bit, and made into it's own module called 'ao'.  It also
> builds to RPM and has 'make dist' and such niceties.  It needs a little
> work (shouldn't plugins be dynamically loaded?) before I'd ship it but
> it's a nice lookin' lib, Stan.  My work on this is already commited in the
> 'ao' module.  So you guys who are coding on this should look it over, yell
> at me if need be, etc.  A few changes to ogg123 will need to be made
> still, detailed below...
>
> So that leaves vorbis-tools.  I started on vorbis-tools.  Basically my
> idea is to put them in a module called 'vorbis-tools'.  Right now it looks
> like this:
>
> vorbis-tools/oggenc
> vorbis-tools/ogg123
> vorbis-tools/vorbiscomment
> vorbis-tools/scripts  (this is where mp3tovorbis goes)
>
> I will bundle these all up together into a vorbis-tools package with RPMs
> and make dists as well.  I'm a bit tired to finish it up tonight.

I haven't checked anything out yet, but that looks nice. vorbis-tools/scripts
is right on -- the filename parser for oggenc (if any) and scripted frontends
to vorbiscomment (ditto) can easily go there.

> So, please look over everything (especially if the code I've touched is
> yours) and let me know what kinks need to be worked out.
>
> Monty: I'm assuming all your tuning tools will stay in the lib dir.  That
> seems to make sense...
>
> Michael: We need to standardize how we do the MSVC stuff, and do it for
> libogg.

Remember Borland too.

> Stan: I changed some filenames in libao, and thre's more of a tree
> structure now that mirrors how I did libogg. Hopefully you don't mind :)
> Also, I made you a doc dir, so if you're bored, feel free to use it :)

AFAIK Stan hasn't fixed WAV output endian issues yet, so he won't get bored
anytime soon :)

> I'm off to bed.  More of making license plates tomorrow.

Sounds fun...

For all interested, I'm really seriously looking at GUI frontends for the
tools. Both oggenc and ogg123 need more abstraction for output methods, and
I'm tackling that. I'm going to start with a Qt oggenc frontend, and then go
to GTK or (gasp) Windows iff I have the time and energy afterwards.

Kenneth