[vorbis-dev] new oggenc comment tag options

kcarnold at yahoo.com kcarnold at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 2 05:12:08 PDT 2000

On the subject of oggenc:

How about a simple parser for common file naming conventions? Like I have a
file called:

03 - Artist - Track.wav

and I want oggenc to use '03' as tracknum, 'Artist' as artist, and 'Track' as
title. This would be very helpful for people who have a large collection of
CDs organized only by filename, and, if properly developed, this would make
naming by CDDB lookups trivial.

Two options here:

1. An external wrapper script. Probably the cleanest way of doing it, but
   may get messy if the parser gets more complicated.
2. Build it into oggenc. But then that's a whole bunch more code to get bugs
   in, and pushes the 'feature bloat' indicator closer towards the red zone.

It's on my personal TODO list, but I've got a bunch of stuff above it (one
of which is fixing ogg123's endian issues). Comments? (pun intended) And
why am I even suggesting messing with Michael's code? :)

Kenneth