[vorbis-dev] new oggenc comment tag options

Ralph Giles giles at snow.ashlu.bc.ca
Sat Sep 2 02:00:43 PDT 2000

Quazgaa and I were talking about the comment tags we'd like in oggenc.
Here, as requested by Michael, is the summary.

Date (year in id3 land) should be supported. We suggest '-y | --date'.

I suggested '%y' for passing it to the filename template, but this may be
of limited utility.

Track number. -n was the first choice, but is taken by the name template.
We settled on --tracknum, and '%n' in the template. This would correspond
to "TRACKNUMBER" in the vorbis headers; we need Monty to bless that.

That's about it, really.

We'd also like an option to apply s/\s/_/ in the filenames produced by the
template.

I also think it would be nice to have longname options for all the
canonical field names:

--title
--version
--album
--artist
--organization
--description
--genre
--date
--location
--copyright

and --tracknum would be better as --tracknumber

I think this would encourage their use. oggenc should also reject
--comment arguments that don't have a valid field names.

 -ralph