[vorbis-dev] Mime Type and Ogg (More)

Richard Newton richard.newton at firstlinux.net
Thu Oct 19 19:03:53 PDT 2000

Hi, I followed this discussion with interest and, as I understandind it (and I apologize if I've missed the whole point) the two sides of the argument are:

 - There should be different file extensions/mime-types
   for each different usage (audio, video, etc.)

 - There should be one type which will cover all cases
   however specialized.

Now while I appreciate the need to accommodate special applications, I do think the vast major of people will use ogg for music and video and might not want to use the same application for both.  So my question is why not have both!

The ogg extension could be the basic file type and would cover all possible uses (including music and video if wanted), and you could define subsidiary file types that deal only with music or video.

This way some super application could be written which deals with all possible uses (or hands them on to other applications), which is general but would, by necessity, be a compromise between different uses, while file containing music and adhering to strict rules (only contains one audio stream and meta-data stream) can be handled by a specialized program which is great at playing music but hasn't a clue about video etc.

Just an idea, or did I miss something?

Ric.