[vorbis-dev] Re: Macintosh support (again)

Ralph Giles giles at snow.ashlu.bc.ca
Thu Oct 5 19:13:15 PDT 2000

On Thu, 5 Oct 2000, Joe Soroka wrote:

> I think an even easier fix for the problem is this:
>
> 1. make up a default os_types.h with the correct settings for win32
> and macintosh (and beos I guess)
> 2. basically, add
> #if !defined(MAC) && !defined(WIN32) && !defined(whateverelse)
> #error "run ./configure before building on *nix platforms"
> #endif
> 3. check it in.

Unfortunately, cvs doesn't support this. Since autoconf re-writes
os_types.h as part of the build process, the next time a developer did a
commit, the agnostic version would get 'patched'. That's much worse than
having generated code like configure in cvs, which we do do. I don't think
it's reasonable policy to require all developers to replace the default
before doing a commit.

The suggestion of having someone looking after the other platforms,
maintaining build documentation and project files is a better one, I
think.

Of course for actual code releases (like the beta source tarballs)
doing what you describe makes perfect sense. Maybe the thing to do is to
have os_types.[win32|mac|default] in cvs and use dist_hook to copy over
the default when the tarballs are made.

> Also, line 60 in lib/os.h is causing minor annoyances in win32
>
> #include "../include/vorbis/os_types.h"
>
> I have a hunch it should probably be just "vorbis/os_types.h"
> like the rest of the #includes throughout the source.  I'm sure
> there was a good reason for it, but I don't see it right now.

No, that's a bug.

My two bits,
 -ralph