[vorbis-dev] Re: Macintosh support (again)

Joe Soroka oggustus at zxmail.com
Thu Oct 5 17:30:00 PDT 2000

> It really bugs me that the whole "platforms which don't support
> configure scripts require multiple undocumented stages to build"
> issue hasn't been addressed yet. It's so simple to address, too.

It *is* a little annoying... But it probably just means the project needs
mac and win32 leaders to make sure those things go smoothly. Lack
of a win32 dll dsp/makefile is a good example.  What good is LGPL
if commercial companies can't make use of it?  From a win32 stand
point at least, libvorbis might as well be GPL.  Not that I'm griping...
These are minor issues and I'm very grateful just that this codec
exists and works.

I think an even easier fix for the problem is this:

1. make up a default os_types.h with the correct settings for win32
and macintosh (and beos I guess)
2. basically, add
#if !defined(MAC) && !defined(WIN32) && !defined(whateverelse)
#error "run ./configure before building on *nix platforms"
#endif
3. check it in.

Also, line 60 in lib/os.h is causing minor annoyances in win32

#include "../include/vorbis/os_types.h"

I have a hunch it should probably be just "vorbis/os_types.h"
like the rest of the #includes throughout the source.  I'm sure
there was a good reason for it, but I don't see it right now.

Joe Soroka
Senior Software Engineer
Inphinity Interactive
where the games begin...

PS. here's my suggestion as a diff. (not tested thoroughly)
note as well, that this is a *new* file and doesn't modify
os_types.h.in, which should probably be cleaned up too
since it wouldn't need to mention win32/mac/beos/cygwin
targets anymore.  Probably should add this os_types.h to
a .cvsignore file too, so checkouts/updates grab the file
but noone will accidentally commit their ./configure'd
version.

[someone at somewhere vorbis]$ diff os_types.h os_types.h.in
16,17c16,17
<  function: default os_types.h for platforms without sh.
<  last mod: $Id: $

---
>  function: #ifdef jail to whip a few platforms into the UNIX ideal.
>  last mod: $Id: os_types.h.in,v 1.3 2000/08/30 07:09:46 xiphmont Exp $
38a39
> #else
40,48c41
< #elif defined(macintosh)
<
< #include <sys/types.h>
< typedef SInt16 ogg_int16_t;
< typedef SInt32 ogg_int32_t;
< typedef UInt32 ogg_uint32_t;
< typedef SInt64 ogg_int64_t;
<
< #elif defined(__BEOS__)
---
> #ifdef __BEOS__
51,54c44
<
< #else // not win32, not mac and not beos
<