[vorbis-dev] ao hard codes -ldl in configure tests

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Mon Nov 20 02:27:22 PST 2000

At 09:23 AM 11/20/00 +0100, you wrote:
>"Timothy J. Wood" wrote:
>>
>> >libao now needs libdl. A patch would be good, but would also have to
change
>> >the code in some fairly significant ways. Well, unless there's some
>> >platform without libdl, but WITH all the libdl functions in a different
>> >libraries. I don't know of any such platform.
>libtool got a library called libltdl, maybe this can be usefull? Don't know
>if it works for Darwin and Mac OS X?

I've heard of libltdl. However, given that it's part of libtool, I wouldn't
touch it with a 40 foot pole.

Libtool makes quite a big enough mess of build systems when it gets
introduced. Allowing it to touch actual code would be an invitation to
disaster. Yes, I DO hate libtool.

At least until libao has proper support for audio on at least one platform
without libdl, it's not really worth worrying about.

Michael