[vorbis-dev] ao hard codes -ldl in configure tests

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Sat Nov 18 19:39:07 PST 2000

At 07:19 PM 11/18/00 -0800, you wrote:

>>libao now needs libdl. A patch would be good, but would also have to change
>>the code in some fairly significant ways. Well, unless there's some
>>platform without libdl, but WITH all the libdl functions in a different
>>libraries. I don't know of any such platform.
>
>  Well, Darwin and Mac OS X don't have libdl, but there are emulation
sources that can be obtained from the Darwin repository and added to libao
(which is was I was currently doing).

ok. Now I understand. As you suggest below, putting these into a library
would be far more sensible.

>  Maybe instead, I should take to the dlopen.c and dlfcn.h and build a
/usr/local/lib/libdl.dylib and /usr/local/include/dlfcn.h and then Vorbis
could build as usual.  This would be lame, though, since Vorbis would have
yet another dependancy (although this is mitigated by the fact that this
would probably make other GNU software work better).

Vorbis does not have another dependency. Libao does (and will continue to
unless someone contributed dynamic loading code for multiple platforms).
vorbis doesn't need libao - indeed, only ogg123 does. Given that the
chances of ogg123 working on OS X are slim anyway (it doesn't even build on
solaris, which is far closer to linux than OS X is), you might not want to
bother with this at all.

Michael