[vorbis-dev] ao hard codes -ldl in configure tests

Timothy J. Wood tjw at omnigroup.com
Sat Nov 18 19:19:33 PST 2000

>libao now needs libdl. A patch would be good, but would also have to change
>the code in some fairly significant ways. Well, unless there's some
>platform without libdl, but WITH all the libdl functions in a different
>libraries. I don't know of any such platform.

  Well, Darwin and Mac OS X don't have libdl, but there are emulation sources that can be obtained from the Darwin repository and added to libao (which is was I was currently doing).

  Maybe instead, I should take to the dlopen.c and dlfcn.h and build a /usr/local/lib/libdl.dylib and /usr/local/include/dlfcn.h and then Vorbis could build as usual.  This would be lame, though, since Vorbis would have yet another dependancy (although this is mitigated by the fact that this would probably make other GNU software work better).

  I guess I'll go down this route rather than including it in libao, which would probably be annoying to those people not on Darwin / Mac OS X.

-tim