[vorbis-dev] ogg stream-id options

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon Nov 20 13:07:39 PST 2000

> Duh to me for overlooking that... However, we still need a format
> specifier - either a "jpg:" or "cover.jpg:" just before the binary data,
> or perhaps jpeg's mime type (can't remember it). I think we can all
> agree that saying that all images are a specific type is bad.

Folks are beginning to blur together three very distinct and different
mechaisms here.

We began by talking about the meta-header; this has nothing to do with
the metadata stream and has nothing to do with metadata.  It is and is
only machine readable data describing all the different logical stream
types multiplexed in this physical stream.  It consists of magic, a
complete listing, and various hints of what to do with the streams
that begin immediately following it.  It is not itself strictly part
of the transport stream and contains no metadata directly intended for
the user.

Then there is the Vorbis comment header.  This is the second packet of
a Vorbis stream and is meant for short text comments.  Binary data
does *not* go here either.  The Vorbis comment spec says so
explicitly.

Finally there is the 'metadata stream', a full fledged stream type
(just like vorbis is a stream type) intended to contain arbitrary
metadata.  Here's where pictures, bios and the kitchen sink are meant
to go.  Here's the only place where XML begins to make sense.

These three entities are distinct and not to be confused.

Monty