[vorbis-dev] beta3 problems

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon Nov 20 00:22:26 PST 2000

> -- the audio quality thingie I mentioned some time ago, exists
>    at 128, 160, 192 kbps (higher not tested). Strangely, older
>    versions of vorbis (about 2-3 months old) sound much better
>    (at 192 kbps). I did some spectrum analysis, and it seems the
>    "background" noise of the original is gone, which makes the
>    sound very artificial sounding, and massively f***s up the
>    acoustic guitar low strings sound in my testtrack.

Really?  AFAIK, I only backed off high frequency masking which should
have made it *less* likely to eliminate background hiss and subtle
noise, not more likely.  Obviously I must be mistaken.  Send the
sample along?

And, yes, b 3 wasn't an 'improve quality' release.  It was more about
the tools and a settled down library API.

Monty