[vorbis-dev] beta3 problems

Segher Boessenkool segher at wanadoo.nl
Sat Nov 18 12:39:55 PST 2000

Hiya,

Just downloaded beta3, and I actually got it to compile without
too much hassle. Great job!

Still, some problems:

-- (easy): the -V option to ogg123 is broken, --version works.
-- make profile doesn't work (in vorbis-tools), need to pass in
   some -pg -static or something like it (doesn't exactly work,
   -static is swallowed by libtool; read some docs, needs to be
   -all-static for libtool; doesn't work either).
-- it is a bit tedious to have to "su -c ldconfig" for every
   library you compile. configure is able to find the (just
   installed) headers, so maybe it should look for the
   libraries alongside this location (maybe it already does
   this), and pass it as a library path to ld.
-- the audio quality thingie I mentioned some time ago, exists
   at 128, 160, 192 kbps (higher not tested). Strangely, older
   versions of vorbis (about 2-3 months old) sound much better
   (at 192 kbps). I did some spectrum analysis, and it seems the
   "background" noise of the original is gone, which makes the
   sound very artificial sounding, and massively f***s up the
   acoustic guitar low strings sound in my testtrack.

Still, 's a nice release,

Ciao,

Segher