[vorbis-dev] beta3 problems

Segher Boessenkool segher at wanadoo.nl
Mon Nov 20 06:29:24 PST 2000

> Really?  AFAIK, I only backed off high frequency masking which should
> have made it *less* likely to eliminate background hiss and subtle

It isn't really the background hiss, it's part of the tonal sound; these
sounds are split by the mdct into two bins, one is a lot weaker than
the other, and gets treated the same as the background noise (I guess),
and most of the time gets quantized not exact enough (the smaller of the
bins is the most important to reconstruct exact frequency!); as the end
result, in the decoded sound, the tonal frequency wobbles up and down
in some sort of vibrato effect which wasn't there in the original. This
phenomenon is obviously strongest at low frequencies (as the mdct bins
are q	uite wide there).

> noise, not more likely.  Obviously I must be mistaken.  Send the

True background noise sounds better in beta3 than in beta2, in my tests;
the noise "color" is better preserved.

> sample along?

I'll try, but still having provider troubles.

> And, yes, b 3 wasn't an 'improve quality' release.  It was more about
> the tools and a settled down library API.

So if I do "my thing" in beta2, the patches will apply (reasonably) cleanly?
I ask, 'cause the beta2 build system is much easier for development (getting
a good profile-build with beta3 is horrors for me).

Dagdag,

Segher