[vorbis-dev] Mime Type and Ogg (More)

Chris Hanson cmh at bDistributed.com
Mon Nov 13 19:18:42 PST 2000

I think part of the reason this issue keeps coming up is that there
is no generalized "media framework" used on most Unix variants.
Instead, there are a number of libraries which implement various
formats, each with their own APIs.

Contrast this with the Macintosh.  If I were to implement file
preview functionality on the Macintosh, I'd use QuickTime.  If
QuickTime knows how to open a particular file as a Movie, I can then
examine that movie for sound and video tracks.  Or -- and this is
more likely -- I can just set up a standard QuickTime controller and
let it handle all of the playback etc. for the preview.

If I then write a media import component and an audio decompressor
for Ogg Vorbis, anything which uses QuickTime gets support for Ogg
Vorbis for free *including file preview*.

I bet the situation on Windows is similar.

   -- Chris

--
Christopher M. Hanson <cmh at bDistributed.com>
President & CEO, bDistributed.com, Inc.