[vorbis-dev] Mime Type and Ogg (More)

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon Nov 13 15:32:00 PST 2000

> I don't understand. This still means the user has to pick the right
> program to use each time, unless it's the most preferred one (nautilus
> does let you associated many programs with one mime type, but all
> except the first only show up on the "Open With >" menu). On the other
> hand, having multiple mime types and associating the same program with
> each one is an easy task that can be done once, after which all files
> will open with the user's program of choice.

...or the 'preferred program' is an intelligent launcher that can look
at the file magic.  We'll be sure static magic is available and easy
to use once we go to non-degenerate streams (and degenrate Vorbis
streams already have static magic).

Mime type is simply insufficient for identifying contents od container
file types.  We can admit it and go on to find an adequate solution,
or we can keep beating our heads against this already bloodied wall. I
don't feel like saddling a technology I expect to live for a minimum
of 20+ years with the limitations of a system we already acknowledge as
ill-suited to the task (mime type).

> Why are you trying to make things hard on people who don't share your
> preference?

This requires only a little extra technical tinkering to make it clean
*and* convenient.  We're no more likely to give up our design than you
are yours.  Neither one of us has to.

Monty