[vorbis-dev] Mime Type and Ogg (More)

Anthony Arcieri bascule at holly.ColoState.EDU
Mon Nov 13 19:47:51 PST 2000

> I think part of the reason this issue keeps coming up is that there
> is no generalized "media framework" used on most Unix variants.
> Instead, there are a number of libraries which implement various
> formats, each with their own APIs.

There are several projects underway which are trying to do this, most
notably gstreamer (http://gstreamer.sourceforge.net/)

I don't see this as the real problem.  I believe MIME's problem stems from
the fact that it can only list one property of a particular file, which
seems very shortsighted, especially when attempting to describe container
formats.

Likewise, I think the point the majority of the Ogg developers
have been trying to get across is that MIME is not an effective tool for
describing both the type and contents of container formats.  The question
I think we should be asking is if there is some standard, alternative
content description system which works better.

Tony Arcieri