[vorbis-dev] More gcc 2.95.2 wierdness

R.L. Horn rlhorn at mailroom.com
Fri Jun 23 15:17:36 PDT 2000

Well, I've just (apparently) successfully upgraded to glibc 2.1.2 and,
surprise!, it behaves exactly the same as glibc 2.0.7 when I build
libvorbis with gcc 2.95.2.  That is to say, clipping in every frame, sound
like a dying wolverine, etc.

The problem appears to be related to optimization level.  Specifically, if
you have a link, "cc", in the path that points to gcc, and $CC isn't set,
libvorbis is compiled with:

CFLAGS="-O20 -ffast-math -D_REENTRANT -fsigned-char -I. -I../include
-Dvorbis_size32_t='int'"

However, if you set $CC and then run configure you get:

CFLAGS="-O -I. -I../include  -Dvorbis_size32_t='int'"

Which works just dandy (with glibc 2.0 even!).

At any rate, compiling with -O20 appears to cause the problem and does
nothing for performance so far as I can tell.

Am I the first one to notice this?  Is my system b-----ed up in some
bizarre way (it did start out life as a Red Hat system after all)?  I'm
flummoxed.