[vorbis-dev] More gcc 2.95.2 wierdness

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Fri Jun 23 17:13:09 PDT 2000

> Well, I've just (apparently) successfully upgraded to glibc 2.1.2 and,
> surprise!, it behaves exactly the same as glibc 2.0.7 when I build
> libvorbis with gcc 2.95.2.  That is to say, clipping in every frame, sound
> like a dying wolverine, etc.

It's the libc *headers* not the libc shared libs that are the issue.  You'll
need to make sure everything in /usr/include/bits/ is replaced by the new
version *and* rebuild everything.  Then you should be OK.

If you've checked that carefully, then we have something interesting here.  If
not, optimization level can just shift FP stack allocation around enough to
make the bug mysteriously appear/vanish.

Have a look at /usr/include/bits/mathinline.h and check the line that defines
the inline for log()...:

__inline_mathop_decl (log, "fldln2; fxch; fyl2x", "0" (__x) : "st(1)")

Does your version of the header have that 'st(1)' at the end?  If not, you're
still broken.

Monty