[vorbis-dev] The Oft Maligned comment field, initial thoughts.

Ralph Giles giles at snow.ashlu.bc.ca
Sat Jun 17 13:45:35 PDT 2000

On Sat, 17 Jun 2000, David Terrell wrote:

> > If I'm encoding from CD, I do want CDDBID and TRACKNUMBER fields, but
> > perhaps they're insufficiently general to deserve mention in the formal
> > documentation. Maybe wait and see what extensions become commonly
> > accepted?
>
> I'd rather see ISBN used as a standard identifier of "what CD this track
> came from" since it's well, standard.  TRACKNUM or whatever would also
> be nice.

Is the ISBN that barcode on the back of most cds? Does it include the
small numbers at the beginning and end? And what do we do about cd's
without a number? (a quick look at my collection suggests that most
free/magazine samples and small label issues don't, not to mention
unpublished demos and mixes) I guess the advantage of CDDBID is that every
disc has one, and the advantage of the ISBN is that it's unique. :)

> Did the final spec ever pop up?

I've not found it on the website, but it's in cvs as docs/v-comment.html
q.v. http://www.xiph.org/archives/vorbis-dev/0564.html

 -ralph