[vorbis-dev] Whitespace standard?

Mike Coleman mcoleman2 at kc.rr.com
Sun Dec 31 15:32:10 PST 2000

xiphmont at xiph.org (Monty) writes:
> My 'style' is K&R standard except that I dislike spacing things out so
> far that what could fit on one line takes up half the screen. I like
> having as much functionality as possible visible together. I don't
> intentionally obfuscate, it's just a religious distinction.
>
> Feel free to write new code in whatever way you like.  Don't reformat
> existing code, please.

I can survive, I guess, except for one thing.  The project really *needs* a
standard for tab stops.  (I'm talking about "what does a tab char represent",
as opposed to C indentation style.)  My preference would be mod 8, but mod 4
or even 2 would be acceptible so long as it's uniform throughout the code.

An example of this problem can be seen in encoder_example.c, lines 117-127.
Most of the file is mod 8, but it looks like someone added these lines with a
mod 4 setting.  The result is a file that can't be viewed correctly no matter
how you set your tabs, as far as I can see.

(To be fair, I should mention that I think Jack disagrees with me on this.)

--Mike

--
[O]ne of the features of the Internet [...] is that small groups of people can
greatly disturb large organizations.  --Charles C. Mann