[vorbis-dev] Ports

Mike Coleman mcoleman2 at kc.rr.com
Sun Dec 31 15:02:44 PST 2000

xiphmont at xiph.org (Monty) writes:
> This addresses the issue of the audio devices, but is there a similar
> non-root strategy for access to the realtime scheduler (Linux)?

The access is only needed at the start, if I understand correctly.  Maybe
there could be a small, setuid, easy-to-inspect-for-security wrapper that sets
this up and then execs the player.

Setuiding the whole player just seems like an accident waiting to happen.
Verifying that nothing ever runs off the end of any array, for example, no
matter what input is received, looks non-trivial to me for vorbis.

--Mike

--
[O]ne of the features of the Internet [...] is that small groups of people can
greatly disturb large organizations.  --Charles C. Mann