[vorbis-dev] vorbis.com/faq.html

Segher Boessenkool segher at wanadoo.nl
Fri Dec 29 23:53:28 PST 2000

Rudy Moore wrote:

> Hi Monty,

You sent to the list, so I'll try to answer...

> How can I contribute?  Excellent project and I'd like to help out where
> I can.
>
> I don't know a lot about music, sound theory or the vorbis spec right
> now.  I tried reading your documentation, but it seems spotty.  Maybe

Reading the source is the best docs you'll get. Anytime. For any
project.

> I was looking the wrong place?  Ideally, I'd like to build a GPL'd

Nah, just seems like nobody has had (or taken) enough time to write
docs. Maybe you can help here?

> VHDL implementation of the Vorbis standard - but that's probably a lot
> more time commitment than I can really sign myself up for.

The decoding part would be small enough, I think?

> Anyway, great work!  Point me and I shall go.
>
> Rudy
>
> (BTW, love cdparanoia too!  Used it for a long time until I degenerated

I actually got converted to cdparanoia (from cdda2wav) some time ago.
Can't understand why, but cdparanoia -Z is about 2x faster than cdda2wav
on my latest cd drive. And the cd in my iMac is so f***ing bad at
reading cdda that it actually needs _all_ paranoia, and is less than
realtime. This is the only bad thing I have to say about it ;-)
(Yeah, the speakers ain't that good; but the whole machine is smaller
than just one of my normal speakers).

Dagdag,

Segher