[vorbis-dev] patents and separate entropy coding

Erik Kruus kruus at on2.com
Fri Dec 15 13:08:48 PST 2000

I'm probably not the only one who's been asked to do some reading
into the patent issues, expressly for the purpose of determining
whether my employers will consider Vorbis as a viable alternative
for audio encoding.  Certainly the more fears I can alleviate, the
better chance our company has of backing Vorbis more solidly or
adopting it if it proves to meet our needs.

While it's not necessary (I can probably find a lot of loopholes
myself, given enough time), the publicizing of the detailed
arguments may ease the task of convincing other "bigger fish" to jump into
the pond.  Of course it would also make my task easier, so my motives
are not 100% pure!  I'ld even be happy with a non-disclosure
agreement for Monty's reading, but don't think that's really
a great idea (in general, I hate NDA's).

Erik Kruus (on2.com, but speaking personally)