[vorbis-dev] vorbis.com

Aleksandar Dovnikovic aldov at EUnet.yu
Sun Dec 31 02:50:17 PST 2000

"Frank Klemm" <pfk at fuchs.offl.uni-jena.de> wrote:

> And in 5 years noone is interested in things like MP3 or Ogg Vorbis.
> So wait 5 years and then Ogg can be moved to /dev/null.

Maybe if you are using these formats to keep your music collection
on your hard drive - lossless compressors will become more
popular as hard drive space increases... but when you look at the
internet - there's never enough compression. So as I see it, lossless
codecs will be more popular in a couple of years (if you have
at least a few hundred CDs - hard drives are still small for lossless),
but in the internet/network domain lossy codecs will rule for a
long time...

Greetings,
Aleksandar