[vorbis-dev] RE: ACM driver binary 'release'

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon Aug 14 15:39:56 PDT 2000

> I hope you can spare some time sometimes in the future, there are some
> architecural
> questions I would like to discuss with you, and I fear you are the only one
> who
> can answer these. At least I didn't get answers from the dev-list,
> especially
> when it comes to things like packet and page sizes, details about vorbis
> headers
> and so on, some things that do not fit into the architecture of the ACM and
> must
> be resolved somehow.

I remember the mail, and I remember not really having the answers (at least
not the answers you wanted).  I shyed away from answering until I could figure
out some way to help you...

Packet size in Ogg is totally unbounded.  Pages are roughly 4k becasue it's a
good granularity/overhead tradeoff.  The headers are likely to always be in
the 2k-8k range unless we develop a Vorbis variant that uses hardwired books.

Monty